The City of Burien has established a committee to help advise City staff on a major update to Burien’s Comprehensive Plan. The advisory committee is one of many groups of stakeholders advising the City on the Burien community’s needs and wishes for its future. The committee will provide recommendations to the Burien City Council and Planning Commission.
The membership includes:
- All members of the Planning Commission. This core group already advises on long-range planning and has knowledge of operating rules and procedures.
- One representative from each City Council-appointed advisory board (Arts Commission, Burien Airport Committee, Business and Economic Development Partnership, Human Services Commission, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, etc.)
- Five Burien Community Connectors, representing Burien’s Amharic, Spanish, and Vietnamese-speaking communities.
The Planning Commission is charged with holding hearings and making formal recommendations on the Comprehensive Plan Update to the City Council consistent with local and state laws, and the Growth Management Act. The City Council will make decisions on the Comprehensive Plan Update.
The Advisory Committee will hold meetings quarterly on nights that the Planning Commission meets (5:30 p.m. on the second or fourth Wednesday at City Hall). Meetings will take place in City Hall Chambers at 5:30 p.m. Meetings will be broadcast live on Burien TV or via Zoom, and will be recorded and available for members of the public to view after each meeting. Meetings are open to the public with a portion of the meeting reserved for public commentary.
The following are anticipated topics the Advisory Committee would cover. Five to seven meetings are anticipated from January 2023 – March 2024. This post will be updated with links to video recordings of the meetings after they are published online.
- Share: Results of Visioning Community Engagement (October-November 2022 events)
- Identify vision statement amendments during an interactive session
- Provide advice on draft environmental impact statement alternatives and scope
- Consider/review: Missing Middle Housing Policy/Code Options
- Consider/review: Urban Center & Neighborhood Center Options
- Consider/review: Draft climate resilience strategies
- Review: Draft Plan Elements & Draft EIS Sharing
- Host Plan sharing sessions
January 24, 2024
- Provide: Preferred alternative recommendations