The City of Burien is re-imagining the long-term future of our city through a coordinated planning effort called “Shape Your City”. The initiative combines major updates to the Comprehensive Plan, a new Transportation Master Plan, and an update to the Parks, Recreation and Open Space Plan.
One way you can share your feedback is through the online interactive map. Below is a tutorial on how to use the map.
- Find the public comment map at burienwa.gov/SYC.
- After reading the introduction and clicking “Let’s go!”, you arrive at the map.
- If you need another language, click the Google Translate button in the top right corner.
Adding a comment
- On medium and smaller screens, select the large green button labeled “Add Comment” at the top of the map. For larger screens, instead of the green button, you may see a set of markers.
- Select which kind of comment you’d like to leave on a specific point on the map. If you think something new should be added at a particular location, select the “Create” marker. If you think something at that location could be better, select the “Improve” marker.
- Drag or use arrow keys and zoom to position the marker. You can only place a marker within Burien city limits.
- When the marker is where you want it to be, select “Place marker here”. A comment box will appear (there are additional questions that you may answer. By answering them, you help us better understand who is providing feedback).
- Once you are done with your comment, you will be asked to agree to the terms of service and then select the green “Add Comment” button.
- You can then click “Close”. Repeat steps 1-5 to add additional comments.
- If you would like to see comments other community members have made, head over to the Activity button to the left of your screen (or in the hamburger menu in the top left of your screen if you are on mobile). You can like or dislike a comment or add a comment by clicking on “Start a discussion”. Comments are moderated for spam and misuse, so if you don’t see your comment right away, that’s because staff may be evaluating it.
Explore the map
- Zoom in and out using the plus and minus buttons in the top right of the screen.
- Turn on and off layers by selecting them from the menu below the zoom buttons.
- Hide and unhide the legend in the bottom right corner.
- Search for your address by selecting the magnifying glass button.
Be sure to sign up for email updates so you learn about important updates, events, and other ways to get involved.
Questions? Email us at SYC@burienwa.gov and we’ll try to help!