How do we make our neighborhoods better for both neighbors and businesses as the city grows and changes over the coming years? To help answer that question, the City of Burien is conducting a community planning process along the Ambaum Blvd corridor and in the Boulevard Park neighborhood.
Read on to learn more about this project and find out how you can get involved. Let’s work together to plan for thriving, transit-friendly neighborhoods and successful business districts in the Ambaum Blvd corridor and Boulevard Park neighborhood.
There are several ways you can get involved with this project:
- Mark your calendars for one of our upcoming events.
- Subscribe to email updates using the form on this page.
- Send us an email if you have questions or comments.
Subscribe to Updates
Alex Hunt, Planner
Draft Plan and Environmental Impact Statement
- Draft Ambaum and Boulevard Park Community Plan (published December 15, 2022)
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement (published December 15, 2022)
Project Fact Sheets
- Burien Comprehensive Plan (last updated 2021)
- Burien Zoning Code (last updated 2020)
Housing and Economic Development
- Burien Housing Action Plan (2021)
- Burien Housing Assessment (2020)
- Transit Corridor Redevelopment Gap Analysis (2013)
- Burien Economic Development Partnership Industry Targets and Supporting Strategies (2019)
Proposed Study Area Maps
Ambaum Blvd Corridor and Boulevard Park Study Areas
Download detailed PDF. Boundaries of proposed study areas may change.
- Articulate a vision and action strategies to meet community and citywide goals.
- Engage with diverse members of the community, including people typically not engaged in civic processes.
- Evaluate city regulations with an eye toward walkable business districts to support housing and business district strategies, development feasibility, urban design and public space goals, walkability, cultural expression, and community health.
- Recommend new land use and zoning standards, and adjustments to city regulations for consideration by the Burien Planning Commission and City Council.
- Apply a race and social equity lens to all of the work, including engagement, analysis and recommendations.
Review and Analysis
We will evaluate data and consider environmental and equity factors.
Public Engagement and Plan Development
Community and stakeholder engagement and advisory committee will solicit ideas to create a shared vision.
We will refine and test ideas and proposals and consider urban design. Implementation steps will be presented. Plan will be refined with advisory group and community stakeholders. Plan and zoning code amendments will be drafted. SEPA environmental review will occur.
The plan will go before Planning Commision and City Council for review and adoption. Community plans and a zoning ordinance will be adopted.
Last Updated: March 21, 2023