Over the last three months, the City of Burien has been listening to our community’s ideas for how to plan for the next 20 years of growth and change. Burien, like other urban cities in Washington, must plan for growth so we can provide policies, programs, services, and projects that meet the needs of our community. To date, we have gathered nearly 1,000 comments from the community via an online public comment map and in-person events and meetings. The top themes we have been hearing so far are listed below.
We need more:
- Trees in parks and along streets
- New parks
- Traffic control measures
- Trails through the city and in our park system
We need to improve:
- Sidewalks and streetscapes
- Public safety
- Transit access
There is interest in:
- More stores and economic vitality in Burien
- Housing that is accessible for lower-income households
- More park amenities to diversify the park system
Share your ideas in upcoming workshops or survey
There is still time to provide your ideas, both online and in-person, around a shared vision for Burien in 2044.
Workshops and pop-up events:
- November 3, 2022: Burien 2044 Vision Workshop, 6-8 p.m on Zoom. Spanish, Vietnamese, and Amharic interpretation provided.
- November 5, 2022: Hazel Valley Park planting event, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Hazel Valley Park.
- November 12, 2022: Salmon Creek Park planting event, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Salmon Creek Park.
- November 10, 2022: Burien 2044 Mini-Workshop, 5-6 p.m. and 6-7 p.m. at Burien Community Center
- Take a survey, available in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Amharic. Survey closes
November 18, 2022November 30, 2022 [UPDATE: deadline has been extended].
- Comment on the interactive public comment map. Closes November 18, 2022.
After the completion of the visioning phase, City staff will evaluate all the comments and share recommended strategies for the community to consider later in the winter of 2023.